5 things you need to know about sesame seeds
Thursday, December 17, 2015 by Vicki Batts
Sesame seeds are finally being recognized for their high calcium and magnesium content – essential for healthy bones – and being seen as more than just a key component to everything-bagels.
But, did you know that sesame seeds have a wide array of health benefits and have been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years? Wow, right? Here are 5 amazing things about sesame seeds:
- Helps treat diabetes: Studies have found that sesame oil helped improve the efficacy of the diabetes drug glibencamide in type 2 diabetes patients, as well as reduce blood pressure and blood sugar in diabetic patients with hypertension.
- Lowers high blood pressure: Sesame oil contains peptides that inhibit biological triggers to high blood pressure.
- Prevents gum disease: Used for many years to clean teeth and prevent disease, clinical research suggests swishing sesame oil is as effective as modern mouthwash.
- Prevents heart disease: Studies show consuming sesame seeds prevents atherosclerosis – or plaques from forming on the arterial walls.
- Cancer prevention: Sesame contains sesamin, a special lignin with phytoestrogenic properties that has been found to prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells.