6 herbal treatments for cold and flu symptoms
Monday, November 23, 2015 by Vicki Batts
The flu and cold season is upon us, and soon, everyone around you will be sneezing and coughing. Before you know it, you’re the one rushing to the nearest drugstore to treat your symptoms! If you’re yearning for a more natural way to treat your cold symptoms and prevent yourself from even getting a cold, you’re on the right track. Here’s a list of six herbal treatments for you to try:
- Honey: Obviously at the top of the list is honey. With antiviral and antibacterial properties, it’s a great choice to prevent disease. Studies show consuming honey helps shorten the duration of illnesses, in addition to soothing sore throats.
- Hot peppers: The capsaicin helps thin and loosen mucus and clear nasal passages. Fresh onions can help, as well, if you can’t do spicy.
- Green tea: Loaded with antioxidants, the steam from hot tea will also help sooth stuffy noses and chest congestion.
- Garlic and onions: These are powerful antimicrobial foods which are rich in antioxidants. They can also help thin out mucus and clear nasal passages.
- Ginger: Ginger can help relieve flu symptoms like sore throat and congestion.
- Salt: A quick gargle with warm water and a pinch of salt is proven to stop sore throats and infections in their tracks.